Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Exploring the Mysteries of the Tarot

Yesterday I decided I wanted to write. I felt in the mood for creative writing, but was in need of an idea to run with. So I thought it would be a good idea to look through my tarot cards for inspiration, as most cards depict some elaborate scene. As I was looking through the cards, I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. The Devil was giving the Vulcan salute.

Now, I didn't believe that it could have been meant as such because the cards are far older than Star Trek, however it did pique my interest. I decided to Google it and see what I could come up with.

It turns out that the Vulcan salute was essentially based off of a Jewish hand gesture of blessing, which carried a similar meaning to that of the Vulcan salute. Live long and prosper. Moreover, apparently there was a similar Egyptian gesture that also carried a similar meaning. Life, prosperity and health.

However, when I Googled the card and its symbolism, only one website so much as acknowledged the presence of that gesture. So, I emailed them asking their opinion on the meaning of that connection. I am still awaiting their reply.

But why would the devil be using such a gesture? Well, I read that on that same hand, there is the sign of Saturn, which often symbolizes limitations and inertia. That, mixed with the blessing could potentially be a warning of the limitations associated with the devil's means.

I've included a picture of the card in question. Take a look. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment