Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Step Forward

Back in high school I began writing a book. I had been sitting alone at home thinking 'I feel like writing!', so that's exactly what I did. I wrote the first thing that popped into my head and went with it. That led to writing 3 (unedited) chapters of a book that I actually felt really proud of. I brought them to my Writer's Craft teacher and she loved it. She encouraged me to write more, however, that was when the writing stopped.

I had no idea where to take the story. Like many writers, I had written the story loosely based around my own life experiences (loosely). I didn't know where I was going, so how could I know where the story would go? I put it aside and never picked it back up again, but it has been sitting in the back of my mind for years.

Today I decided I was going to do something about it. I was going to deconstruct what I already had written and create a three act plot. It's still very rough, and largely just brainstorming, but now I feel like I've almost got something worth telling. A few more tweaks of the plot points, and planting seeds along the way, and I could potentially start writing it again.

Ideally, I'd like to have the plot worked out in detail with chapter summaries and then edit the first few chapters so they are essentially ready for printing. Then, I'll go around to literary agents and see if anyone's interested. If no one is, I may still write it anyway but at least I'll know that I tried. Regardless of the outcome, however, I am pleased to have taken this small step.

No comments:

Post a Comment