Friday, July 1, 2011

Really?

I had to go to the bank today seeing as tomorrow is a holiday (Canada Day! Woo!). I decided to walk because it was such a lovely day today and because walking allows such freedoms as cutting through parking lots and suchlike. After cutting through a particularly large parking lot, with the sun beating down on me the whole time, I decided to cross the street. At this point, I could see the bank mere meters ahead of me on the other side of the street, but the nearest intersection with lights to cross at was a few minutes' walk away, after which I would have to double back to get to the bank. That seemed silly to me, horribly inefficient. So I decided to wait until traffic cleared enough that I could just cross there.

I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Then the traffic cleared up and I knew it was my chance to go. But there was a guy in a little red car that wanted to merge onto the road from the parking lot across the street. I would be in his way if I crossed, but there was enough room that if I just went quickly, he would have more than enough time to get onto the road. The second he saw that I was crossing out onto the road, and at a quick pace, he slammed his foot down on the gas pedal and headed straight for me. Fortunately, I was able to dodge him but for that moment, I was sure that I was about to discover what it felt like to be hit by a car.

Admittedly, I should not have crossed there. I should have gone to the intersection to cross. However, it's just good practice to avoid hitting pedestrians. The law always sides with them anyway, so he would have been legally screwed had he hit me. I however, would have been screwed in a much more profound and tangible way, and many people would say I brought it upon myself for not obeying the law.

But I still think he's an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment