Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fear

There are a number of emotions that are powerful in their own right, but none so profoundly widespread and limiting as fear. It binds us, restricts us and prevents us from acting upon our impulses and inspiration. This can, at times, be a positive force, preventing us from doing things that may cause damage to those around us. But oftentimes it is the primary barrier that each of us must overcome in order to achieve the goals we each strive for.

Fear has been the emotion that I personally have struggled with far more than any other emotion. I am not quick to anger, and much of my life is filled with love; I have made peace with sadness, but still I find myself completely floored by fear.

Perhaps it might be best to simply take it at face value and retreat whenever fear is present. Or perhaps I should go to the other extreme and confront each fear that faces me. I feel the best course of action is to navigate the middle ground and decide which fears are to be confronted, and which are to be respected. However, this presents the pivotal dilemma: which fears are which?

It frustrates me that there is no answer to that question. No matter where I look for the answers, there will never be an ultimate life dictator who knows absolutely what is right and what is wrong. If I go with my instincts, I may be wrong in the eyes of others, I may even be wrong in my own eyes, and there may never be any vindication.

No comments:

Post a Comment