Saturday, May 28, 2011

With Distinction

Yesterday I received an email from the University of Guelph informing me that I was approved for graduation. It also said that I would be graduating with distinction. Not really knowing what precisely that meant, I repeatedly reminded my husband that I was going to graduate with distinction. I'm sure it was just as amusing the 22nd time as the first.

This morning, before blurting it out to the Facebook world and Twittersphere, I decided to look up what it meant. At some schools, it means that you never failed a single class. Which...I suppose might be difficult for those who like to party a lot. I was a little let down. But then I discovered that the University of Guelph has a slightly different viewpoint. It has to do with cumulative average. A degree with standing is basically, anyone who actually got their degree. A degree with honours is an average between 70-79%. However, a degree with distinction means that your overall cumulative average is above an 80%. That's me. I did BETTER than those people who graduated with honours. Heck yeah!

But now, here is where I get confused. I also have an honours degree. I understood that to mean it was four years as opposed to three. So, does that mean that some people from my program are going to have an honours degree with honours? That'll sound awfully redundant to those watching. I however, will have no such redundancies. I will have an honours degree with distinction. That sounds infinitely better, doesn't it?

Yes...this post was all about bragging. But, come one, I worked my ass off for four years. I'm owed a little bit of bragging rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment