Monday, May 2, 2011

Election 2011

The results are still rolling in, but so far it looks like we're going to have another Conservative government with an NDP opposition. Many people seem to be upset about this, but to be honest, I think it was a good step forward.

Now, let me preface this by saying I am no political expert. I didn't really read much of any party's platform and most of what I know is hearsay, but it seems to me that this outcome isn't half bad. Time and time again, the winner is always either a Conservative or a Liberal. It would be nearly ludicrous at this stage in Canada's history to have thought that any other outcome was possible and I for one would not be content with Ignatieff as Prime Minister. My confidence in the Liberal party has been pretty shaky for a few years now and a Liberal government would make me sad.

As for NDP as the opposition, I think that's awesome! I've been a student up until a week or two ago, so as you can imagine, I'm fairly in favour of the NDP. Gaining official opposition status is a huge leap forward for the party and allows for Canadians to conceive of them as a big player in future elections.

I'm glad that the Green party has lost its hold on the uninformed and I'm even more glad that the Bloc Quebecois has lost its footing as well. Especially in times of crisis, Canada needs to be united and a separatist party is in direct conflict with that goal.

So yeah...I think this is possibly the best case scenario for this election while remaining in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment