Thursday, May 19, 2011

Who Doesn't Take Visa?

Yesterday was a long day. Or at least, it felt very long despite not having to really do all that much. At 7:40am, I was dressed and ready to go. I caught the city bus, rode it for almost an hour to where I could pick up the Go bus and rode that bus for about an hour and a half. I finally got to Square One, another transfer point, at about 9:55am and had a little bit of time to kill.

I figured I should get the bus ticket-buying business out of the way right off the bat, so I found the ticket booth and waited patiently in line.

"I'd like to buy two city bus tickets and a Go bus ticket please."
"We only sell city tickets in packs of five."
"Oh.....but...I'm only going to use two."
"You can just pay $3 in change."
"Hmm...I have no cash......(pause) well....I'll take the Go bus ticket anyway. On Visa."
*taps the glass*
"We don't take credit."
*stunned look on my face*
"You don't take credit?"

Normally I'd be all 'Sure, I'll pay debit.' but keep in mind that I've been an unemployed student for quite some time and am now simply unemployed. I had too little money in my account to pay for the tickets. A little miffed, I made the journey to the other end of Square One where I could go to the TD Bank and get money from my husband's account (isn't marriage lovely?) and then got some breakfast and bought my Go ticket, making sure I had enough loonies and toonies to get to where I was going and back.

I had an additional half hour bus ride to my final destination and then had another half hour to kill until my interview. I walked around and made note of the surroundings. I was apparently in Streetsville. And Streetsville has its own Go station mere minutes walking distance from where I had to be. If only I'd known.

The interview went well (I think/ I hope) and soon I was on my way back. The half hour bus ride, then the two hour wait for the hour long bus ride and then a 15 minute wait for another hour long bus ride. I got back home sometime after 5pm. So really, it was a pretty long day, just very boring and tedious...with lots of going from place to place.

Can you imagine how much time we'd all have on our hands if we didn't have to take time for transit? Most people I know commute anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half twice a day just to work. That's up to 3 hours a day just traveling!

All I'm saying is I wish they'd go ahead and invent that teleportation device already.

No comments:

Post a Comment