Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Storytellers' Guild

About a week ago, I spent some time on Google looking for free things to do in Guelph, or really anything to do in Guelph that sounds like fun. There were a bunch of art galleries, and some live music every so often but what really caught my eye was 'Storytelling'. Intrigued, I clicked the link and was delighted to discover that it wasn't specifically for children, but rather was targeted at 'thinking adults'. I'm an adult, and I think....therefore I am.

It also just so happened that it was free. So I decided to give it a try. Upon arriving at the library (where it was reportedly held), I had the hardest time finding where it was supposed to be. For some reason it made sense to me for it to be in the seated area where people tend to read, despite being disruptive to anyone trying to read or get work done. I suppose this is because the University library does this. They don't care if you've got a paper due in one hour, they'll bring in the campus tours and guest speakers. Anyways, the public library was more considerate, but also more mysterious.

To get to the event, I had to climb a set of stairs that led to an unknown destination. Once I climbed the stairs, all I saw was a children's section and a mysterious little room that appeared to have some elderly people sitting with rapt attention listening to a man addressing some housekeeping issues. I mistook this preamble for some official-type board meeting of something important. After double-checking with the Information clerk, I entered the room. Immediately all eyes went on me because a) I was late and b) I was new...and conservatively 20 years younger than the average attendee.

After the initial awkwardness, some more preamble took place and then they went right into telling stories. So it WAS what I had anticipated. Storytelling for grown-ups. Traditional folk tales, poems, monologues...all were performed and I was thoroughly entertained. I must say, I was seriously considering joining the guild. But then I heard the unfortunate news. Though many members were going to tell stories at various events over the summer, they were not going to have anymore guild meetings until the fall.

Why must I always discover such wonderful things after it's too late to enjoy them fully? I don't know if I'll be around in the fall, but if I do, I believe I'll be busy telling stories at the library to an intimate audience of 60-somethings.

No comments:

Post a Comment