Saturday, July 16, 2011

Labels for Social Inclusion

Dooce referenced Internet K-Hole today in a blog post so I clicked through and checked it out. That blog seems to be a compilation of pictures from various eras which is meant to be funny. I personally loved it. I loved seeing pictures of people having a great time and really loving life. The pictures were funny, but not because of the ridiculous clothes, hairstyles or decor, but because the pictures were taken when the photographer(s) was(were) in a good, humourous mood. You can tell how lighthearted they all were. The people in the pictures often epitomized the culture of the time and often looked damn cool. You can tell in an instant what kind of person they were. It was awe-inspiring.

The pictures made me wish that I had indulged in fashion trends and really enjoyed the time period I was living in. I've always tried not to be trendy so that I'll never have a picture that makes me cringe....but I have lots of pictures that make me cringe and it has nothing to do with fashion, usually. Why not look outdated if I'm totally dressed to the nines and obviously fashionable for the time? Why not have fun with fashion and enjoy dressing up? Why not live the lifestyle of the time?

I always felt that cultural trends and mass appeal were to be despised. I felt that I didn't want to be a clone of those around me; I wanted to think for myself. I didn't want to be labeled or taken at face value. But that's silly, because everyone is labeled and taken at face value until you get to know them. Why shouldn't I use these labels to my benefit? Use these templates to show people at a glance what kind of person I am and what I believe in? What's so wrong with cultural identity anyway?

In a way, it is a method for inclusion. Through image, we can all feel connected and a part of something bigger. Culture and fashion perhaps may be on par with religion in this facet. They are all ways to feel connected with those around us. To feel like we're not alone. Like others understand where we're coming from and what we're all about. To feel connected.

By refusing to endorse trends and the like, I have, in a way, isolated myself from humanity. I've always felt isolated anyway, but perhaps some of that could be alleviated through similarity in style. But this entire philosophical debate begs the question: what style should I endorse, how do I want to be seen by others, and who do I want to surround myself with?

No comments:

Post a Comment