Saturday, July 2, 2011

"Parasitic Negativity"

Every morning, I wake up, make breakfast and sip my coffee while I check various places on the internet. My mail, Facebook, Twitter and a blog that I have been following for years. Dooce is the blog of woman who suffered post-partum depression along with a number of other mental ailments that have become far too common in modern times. She has written about her experiences, but more importantly, she writes about her life now and there are so many wonderful aspects to it. She shows hope where so many others have lost it. Beyond that, she writes with such a humourous style and wit that I keep coming back day after day to enjoy the laughs.

Today I checked her blog and found a post that shares the theme of what I had already planned on writing about today. A phenomenon she so aptly described as parasitic negativity. (Her post, however, is very, very different in content to my own as hers involves angry journalists and passionate women from Bangladesh.)

I, too, have noticed this parasitic negativity creeping in around me. It is very common among young university students and it has a very contagious quality, like a yawn. Insidiously it begins with a slight parting of lips, an intake of breath, and before you know it, you're deep in the thick of it, wide-mouthed and uncontrollable. One person begins pointing out flaws and calling them unacceptable, and the next person joins in and complains about the problems with this, that and the other thing. Before you know it, the entirety of one's company is full of hate, disappointment and harsh criticism.

I'll not pretend that I am impervious to this. In fact, it angers me because I feel so susceptible to it. The implicit message sent out when someone calls out problems with something or someone is that the speaker does not have those problems. Therefore, the speaker is superior to those that they denigrate.

When surrounded by these sorts of people, you cease to speak up and say that you like anything for fear that it will be harpooned and deconstructed in front of your eyes. Then all that is left to talk about are things that you dislike or are apathetic towards, which by the way, suddenly turns any conversation into an incredibly dull affair.

So, I say stand up! Be proud of the things you cherish. Gush about the positive things in your life and share that positivity with those around you. It may be more effort (and a fair bit more scary) to be positive rather than negative, but if you can do it with conviction, you might convince others to follow your lead. Negativity may be infectious, but positivity is inspiring and inspiration is what the world thrives on. Inventions, progress, and social movements are all born out of inspiration and enthusiasm. It makes heroes of the meek and leaders of the powerless.

Don't be a Debbie Downer; let those around you shine and maybe in time, you'll shine, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment