Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cell Phones

Well, it's been a while since I last posted, and there have been SO MANY things happening...which I will talk about...later.

For now, I kind of want to rant about cell phones. I feel like people are far too dependent on cell phones and that being so glued to these devices, people rarely ever notice the world around them or take advantage of the opportunities surrounding them because they quite literally can't see them. Moreover, they're expensive.

However. Because the world has this obsession, I am severely excluded from "normal life" because I do not have a cell phone. Crazy, I know, but as I said, they're expensive and I have a landline which barely ever gets used as it is, so why do I need a cell phone? Well, as a result of not having a cell phone, there's about a million and one opportunities I'm missing out on. Employers could more readily get a hold of me to offer me a job (plus I'm sure they get a little shocked when they don't see a cell phone listed and assume I just don't want to give it to employers and end up disliking me and not calling). I could go out at night and not be terrified for my life. I could visit friends' apartments who's buzzers don't work. I could take pictures of things without having to lug around my big (beautiful) and clunky camera. I could text my husband while I'm getting groceries to get his opinion on the latest exotic food I want to buy. Or just text him anyway for little things here and there so we don't worry about each other.

Bottom line: there are SO MANY benefits to having a cell phone. More bottomer line: cell phones and their plans are more money than I spend on food for a month, and honestly, we can barely afford that. And which would you rather me do, buy a cell phone or DIE OF STARVATION?

So...I have decided that I will wait until I have secured a good-paying job. Save up for a little while, and buy two cell phones with a joint plan. One for me, one for my husband. Whether he likes it or not. FYI : my husband has decided to take the 'I'm cooler than you because I don't need a cell phone.' route. Which is very mentally healthy...and has caused a number of people to question their cell phone usage which as I pointed out initially is a good thing because people are far too dependant on their cell phones to a fault.

I guess the only thing I have left to say about this is that if some philanthropist out there wants to give me a pair of cell phones, that would greatly lighten the load!

No comments:

Post a Comment