Sunday, February 27, 2011

Latest At-Home Remedy: Ginger

Last week was reading week and my husband and I went around visiting family and only just got back yesterday (hence the lack of posting). As a wonderful welcome-home gift, my stomach decided it wasn't going to have a good day. It may have been food poisoning, it may have been the week of eating junk food, but whatever the cause, I was feeling pretty awful when I woke up this morning and it only escalated from there.

Because my husband is awesome, he immediately went searching on the internet for something that would help indigestion. He discovered a ginger concoction and went to work right away. I thanked him and guzzled back the ginger water. Anything to get myself feeling better, even spicy ginger water.

After a minute or two, my stomach began to gurgle. Then things started moving around. Then....disaster.

Turns out ginger is a "powerful laxative".

It was at this point that I realized I hadn't thought of how ginger was supposed to calm your stomach. I guess it just makes sure that whatever is causing a problem gets flushed out immediately. Better than writhing around in agony, I guess.

So there you have it. If your stomach is bothering you, some heavily gingered water will quicken the pace and ultimately lead to a faster recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment