Friday, September 2, 2011

I Totally Cry Over Spilled Milk

I've noticed something about myself that I'm fairly certain is a rare trait for someone of my generation. I can't stand wasting anything. It's like I was born during the Great Depression. I once even convinced myself that it wasn't that gross to eat kiwis with the skins on, just so I wouldn't have to throw it away.

What really brought this to the forefront of my mind was this morning's milk escapade. So, here's the story. I've been limiting my dairy and grain intake and trying to increase the amount of meat and veggies I eat, which has actually helped me lose a wee bit of weight. I was trying it out because I had heard time and time again from different sources and for different reasons that dairy and grains aren't as good for you as the Canada Food Guide would have you believe and that filling up on proteins and veggies will basically perform every bodily miracle you can imagine. From beautiful skin, to long, glossy hair to weight loss and even improved mood and mental abilities. I figured it was worth a try at least. Anyway, this ties into the story because it led me to buy a carton of milk as opposed to bags of milk like I usually get.

For some reason I guess I figured it was no longer important to check expiry dates until after I get home and have opened my purchases. I discovered that the milk was to expire the very next day. But it wasn't a tiny carton, it was a big carton of milk. But there was no way I was wasting that $4 worth of milk. So, I made smoothies for my husband and I, which took up a fair bit of milk, but certainly not the whole thing. So I made sure that when I fixed our coffees, we used way more milk than usual. Still, there was a lot of milk left.

This morning was the day past the expiry date and in an act of desperation, I made myself a smoothie. Despite not being sure if it would make me sick or not, I drank that whole smoothie. It tasted weird. But damned if I was going to pour it down the drain. Not only would that waste the expired milk, but also the peach and the mango that I put in it. Then, despite being pretty sure it was expired, I poured a lot into my morning coffee to try to get as much use out of that milk as possible.

Even still, I have yet to throw out that milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment