Sunday, March 6, 2011

Contagious Crying

I was watching Being Erica last night with my husband and it was the first episode of season 3. Erica gets sort of thrown into unfamiliar circumstances and everything is changing and she breaks down. She yells, she bawls and she tries to explain what she's feeling and why. It was a good solid 3 or 4 minutes of crying (which is pretty long in TV time).

Now, I never used to be the kind of person who got overly affected by the things I watched. But more and more I've become very empathic in my media watching. So when Erica started crying, I felt that twinge in my sinuses and that knot in my gut. I tried to hold out but I just couldn't do it. The scene was too long. The tears started coming.

This really bothered me. I don't want to be unfeeling, but I'd like to be in control of my bodily functions when watching a fictitious display of emotion. Crying is embarrassing, especially when you're watching a bad Canadian tv show that defies logic.

So I tried to make light of it and crack some lame joke about being female. I'm sure my husband was not alarmed; he's seen me cry many times. And every time I try to hide it or pretend it's not happening. Anyways, that got me thinking. Why do women cry in sympathy so easily? I mean, a really good tear-jerker will get anyone going, but women seem particularly prone to crying just because someone else is crying.

I Googled "contagious crying" and got a lot of hits about babies. Apparently they cry when others cry and it is notable enough to be dubbed a "phenomenon". Then I modified it to "contagious crying in women" and got even less helpful hits. Lots of forum-based opinions. On Yahoo answers, there was one particularly articulate answer that I liked,
its only if your really sensitive, or you just have a caring heart
--grr
Because of the complete lack of real, scientific pages in the first results, I'm going to stick with this one. I'm really sensitive, or just have a caring heart. So there we have it folks, the easier you cry in response to others crying, the better person you are. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment