Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rant About Grading Schemes

Ok, I admit, the rant you're about to read will sound ridiculous. It was triggered by something insignificant, however it has larger implications which concern me.

Today I received the break down of my grade in my fourth year psychology seminar class. Ten percent is participation marks, of which I received 9. Yes, 90% is a great mark (see previous blog post) BUT I was the student in the class who participated in all discussions and attended every class. I participated more than ANY other student in the class. Others agreed with me.

So, I thought that even though it was one silly percentage point, I should still argue for 10/10 since I was the most deserving of that mark. I presented my case and was met with the most ridiculous resistance I'd ever come across. The professor argued that he must uphold university standards and that a 7 meant I was good, an 8 meant I was great and a 9 was an A+.

I counter argued with the idea that it should not be impossible to achieve a perfect grade, espeically within a participation grade. Participation marks, in every other class, are completion marks. If you do what's asked of you, you get full marks. Furthermore, any other professor would have given me the extra point simply because a) I actually cared enough and bothered to argue it b) I had good reason and c) it's not a radical enough change in marks to care.

And yet he refused.

I don't care if I get that one percentage point, however I do care about the principals underlying that judgement and about how poorly I was treated in this situation. It should never be impossible to obtain perfect marks. If no one can achieve above 9 out of 10, it should be out of 9. Holding students back simply because you feel uneasy with perfect marks is no excuse. Set aside your personal issues and award the marks that the student(s) deserve(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment