Friday, December 10, 2010

So This Is Christmas

First off, I apologize for the distinct lack of blogging recently. I am a student and therefore I've been cramming an entire course into my brain over the past few days. The exam is today. Also, there is another exam on Tuesday, therefore I probably won't post much if at all until then.

So the holiday season is upon us. Snow is constantly streaming from the sky, twinkle lights dot the city and Christmas music is running rampant. I am not particularly religious, but I love Christmas. Nearly as much as I love Halloween...nearly. I feel like these holidays are no longer religious in nature, and I'm ok with that. In fact, I think that the un-religiousification of holidays enhances its ability to unify humanity. We're no longer saying "we're proud of our religion, so everyone else who is or wants to be on our side is welcome to celebrate it  too" and instead we're saying "spend lots of money and everyone will be happy". Still not a super fantastic message, but at least people are facing poverty as opposed to religious persecution. Plus, it's great for the economy.

Now, I'm certainly not in favour of spending money like a drunken sailor, however I do like that no one is excluded. As a former loner, I can attest to how much it sucks being excluded. Perhaps that's it. Maybe that is why people like Christmas so much, aside from the fantastic food and treats, the idea that we're all doing the same stuff, going through the same things for more or less the same reasons.

As much as I would love to continue babbling about the holidays, I really ought to get going and finish my last-minute cramming. Perhaps later I'll ramble about the pagan roots of Christmas. I do enjoy pointing out that Christian holidays were mostly appropriated from pagan holidays in order to convert pagans.

No comments:

Post a Comment