Thursday, January 20, 2011

I've come to the light

As I mentioned in an earlier post about getting a free TV, I have been trying to create a home office for about a week now. Every day I'd been circulating through the thrift stores in the area and frequenting Kijiji searching for the pivotal part of the office: a desk. It seemed as though before now all I ever saw were desks. Then suddenly, once I want one, they all go into hiding.

But then, after days upon days of searching, I happened upon a $10 desk at the Thrift Store. It was small, which was a plus due to our lack of space in our apartment and in our car, and fairly blasé (after a couple alt combinations, I was very proud of myself for being able to find é!) which was less appealing. But still, $10...not bad. It came with some ratty shelves that weren't actually attached and were very flimsy, so I didn't bother taking those.

The Thrift Store called later, reminding me that I'd left them there and urging me to come back and get them.

But anyways, that was yesterday, and today I was able to wake up, do my morning routine and sit down to do some at-home work. MY GOODNESS, my life is now waaaaay better. No longer must I awkwardly position a textbook and notebook on my lap, causing my already untidy scrawl to become completely illegible. I was able to check my email on my laptop, and leave it open (the university mail server refreshes every minute or so, thus leaving it open allows me to get emails as they come) on the corner of the desk, while reading my textbook ON A FLAT SURFACE. Then I could put my textbook in the slide-out drawer (one of those keyboard slidey things, but I require no keyboard, so it's an open concept drawer now), take out the transcript I'm working with for my thesis and start writing. Meanwhile, because I'm at home, I was able to drink my coffee, fixed how I like it, in my own mug, and get more when I ran out without paying another $2.

I didn't have to waste 45 minutes commuting to campus, and then 45 minutes coming back. When I got hungry, I could walk 2 feet to the kitchen and cook myself some healthy, fresh, warm food! After a few hours of working, I was able to move 3 feet to the other side of me and practice keyboard for a while. After just one day, I'm pretty well convinced that I'm destined to work from home. It's just so wonderful! I can work on my own terms, take breaks when needbe and actually do something I enjoy on those breaks.

As an added plus, I received an email from the university warning us to limit contact with other people for the next little while because there's an outbreak of influenza A. Don't worry, I won't be leaving my apartment for days at least.

So, for all of you out there who are lucky enough to have a job you can do at home: How did you find this magical job? Where I can I get one?

No comments:

Post a Comment